Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Week #20 Podcasting

I like these and could become addicted if I could use an MP3 player in my car audio system. I have trouble sitting in front of the computer listening to radio shows I missed. I went to the suggested podcast searcher at Yahoo, but evidently they're closing down on October 31. So then I visited:


This was way cooler than Yahoo. They have a search window, but like the typical OPAC, you can search by a number of different attributes, including location and keyword. You can also browse by Tags--how Web 2.0 does it get! They also have a hierarchy of subject areas, like the virtual libraries. One thing that bothered me is that the podcasts are not really up-to-date. I searched for KQED FM's California Report, and the latest one they had was from 2006.



Super nice interface! Easy to search, lots of browsability, small search window though. Makes complex searches hard. I really like the fact that they offer podcast software and a forum. Makes it easier for newbies to get on board.


www.podcast.com

The interface on this one isn't as attractive as podcast alley, but they sure offer a lot more features. What I especially liked:
  • the link to their blog on the home page
  • the "freshest" podcasts on the homepage
  • the featured subdomains, including BBC, NPR and CNN. I suspect I might even be able to find a KQED FM subdomain if I looked around a little.