Thursday, September 6, 2007

Week #15




I love this meme map from Tim O'Reilly's website. It really helps make Web 2.0 clearer for a visual learner like me.

October 4

I've done a lot of reading, thinking and talking about Library 2.0. Here's what I think: Some of the technologies are going to "stick," while others will eventually end up in the Silicon Valley graveyard of interesting-but-not-particularly-useful ideas. In my opinion, blogging, photosharing, rss feeds and social bookmarking are all useful and will probably outlive the "cool" factor time all new concepts get. Wikis...my personal jury is still out on them. While I like the concept of collaborative thinking, learning and writing, I'm not particularly entranced with any of the software I've seen for this yet. And interface is important. Twitter? I don't think so. Who cares what you're doing this exact moment in time????? The social networking sites are so popular with young people, that I don't think they're going to fade too soon. For folks over 30, though, we just don't get it. And YouTube, even I watch it sometimes and have been known to email funny links to friends.

Overall, I think these new types of software offer a lot of promise for libraries. I already have a Readers Advisory blog I'm linking to the library homepage, and I hope it becomes "cool" for kids to post there. What stumps me a little is that I may be the only librarian in my school district interested in these concepts. I know we're all busy, but the idea of taking our services to kids where they are is just too exciting to pass up.